Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tuesday Blues-day

Today is technically my day 'off', but of course I'd rather be with the little munchkins. Time seriously slows to a comfortable pace when I'm with "THE KIDS" as I will now affectionately call them.

I have two wonderful roommates ("THE ROOMIES") who I don't think quite understand my love for THE KIDS. They both have experience babysitting, but as my one roommate referred to babies, they're like handling 'foreign objects' :)

I'm not feeling so hot on my day 'off''. I have a test today at 1pm (I really need to start studying!) which isn't helping matters. I'm also pretty sure I have the flu. Here's my diagnosis:

Yesterday, 1pm, at the THE KIDS' Lincoln Park residence:

Amy (mother), upon my arrival: You haven't eaten yet?! Go raid my fridge and make something for lunch, while I'm going to put the baby down for his nap before I leave.
Me: THANK GOODNESS. I will gladly raid your fridge stocked with wonderful Trader Joe's organic products. Nothing but the best for the LP babies.

......I make myself a delicious bowl of TJ's Creamy Tomato Soup (with the 4-year-old running around me in circles, it's the best I can come up with) and sit down to quickly eat my yummy soup doused with mini-wheat crackers (from TJ's of course, and I put so many in it either looks like oatmeal or stew).

The 4 y.o.: What are you eaaaaaaaaattttttinnnnnnnng? (all curious of course, even AFTER I asked him if he wanted me to make him something of his own, he said no thanks!).
Me: Oh, just some tomato soup.
The 4 y.o.: I want to seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
(ugh, ok)
Me: See, it's orange and creamy and DELICIOUS! (used WAY TOO descriptive of words - what kid is going to resist something that's DELICIOUS???)
The 4 y.o.: I waaaannnnt sooooooommmmmmeeeeeee.
(ugh, ok)

So I reluctantly let him eat off my spoon. He was being all cute, helping me put crackers (or, Ca-kers! as he says) into my soup and he even climbed up on my lap to eat; a rarity. Spoonful after spoonful, what turned into my lunch was now sitting in The 4 y.o's tummy. I tried to teach him how to dunk the crackers in like milk and cookies (which, by the way, he's never done before! how awful!). I was shocked by my genius decision to avoid the whole spoon-in-two-mouths episode. The dunking went well for the remainder. I still regret the whole spoon-sharing decision as I have felt sick to my stomach all morning. I guess it was a trade-off for the few intimate moments I had with the 4 y.o. who patiently sat on my lap while we shared a bowl of yummy soup :) Next time, I'll just get him his own spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment